Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Tips to reduce mobile data usage

After switching to Project Fi, I started tracking my mobile data usage.  Below is the summary of what I've done so far to reduce my bills.

Google Play Music

Turn on Stream only on Wi-Fi in Settings
If you want to stream over mobile network, set Quality on mobile network to Low.

YouTube

Turn on Limit mobile data usage in Settings -> General.  This will only stream HD videos on Wi-Fi.

Google Photos

Turn off Cellular data back up in Settings -> Back up & sync

Google Play

In Settings (General) set Auto-update apps to Auto-update apps over Wi-Fi only. 

Google Plus

Turn on Conserve data usage in Settings (General)

Google Maps

Turn on Wi-Fi only in Settings.  Click on your offline areas link and save the area around your home.  Google Maps can save areas larger than a half of the state of Washington in size.

I'll update this post when I learn about other apps that consume a lot of data.  Project Fi app reports data usage per app, so it's easy to track apps that abuse mobile data.

No comments:

Post a Comment